28 February 2016

Fixing “No bootable device” error when booting ColudReady on legacy Intel motherboards

I was able to install Neverware CloudReady on my hard drive without errors, but when I plug out the installer USB and try to boot the OS, I was getting a "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key" error. After tons of googling, apparently my legacy Intel Desktop Board does not support GPT well, so we'll have to manually set the Protective Master Boot Record (PMBR) flag using parted the utility.

To do this, you’ll need access to command line/terminal. You can use just about any Linux Live CDs (including Ubuntu's) but I personally went for the System Rescue CD. After installing CloudReady on your harddrive as usual, boot from the live CD and enter the following into the terminal:

parted /dev/sda disk_set pmbr_boot on
Reboot the machine and should be able to boot from your Chromium OS. I spend solid 3 days trying figure this out and my OCZ Agility 3 died in the process, hopefully you'll find this useful.

12 comments:

  1. You're a genius! Thank you for this. I got my old laptop up and running with cloudready after tirelessly searching for a solution.
    ~LC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously - thank you so much for this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This worked for my Acer aspire 5315 but I had to install and perform the above on another machine and then swap the hard drive back to the 5315 as that laptop wouldn't even boot the installer USB stick. Works great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To installer Works, you can use the Plop Boot Manager

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Troy,thanks for sharing how this info worked with your aspire 5315. I've got almost all the prices together but USB BOOT Stick is writing now, I know to not even bother touching the 5315 till after the above is done though a newer machine.

      Delete
    4. This also worked for me on my Acer Spire 5315. Thank you!

      Delete
    5. Did you install using the desktop machine and run the Linux program on the desktop machine before putting it in the 5315?

      Or did you run the Linux disc in the 5315 after installing through the desktop?

      I had put this on hold but I may retry it

      Delete
  4. Régis Soutello Pessolano, as I already have a plop disc from the other laptop I was going to put cloudready onto, I'll try this first rather than pull cables in a my desktop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nope, it did not want to open the plop bootloader screen like the other laptop did.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi .. acer aspire 5315 no bootable device found problem also .. i cloned my old hdd with 32 bit windows 7 to a 120 gb ssd .. updated bios to the latest 2008 version .. put the cloned ssd .. but does not boot altough the bios sees the ssd
    please help

    ReplyDelete
  7. It has worked on my Acer Aspire 5315 with Chrome OS Flex.
    This is what I did in the Linux terminal:

    [root@sysrescue ~]# parted /dev/sda disk_set pmbr_boot on
    Error: Can't have overlapping partitions.
    Ignore/Cancel? Ignore
    Flag to Invert? [pmbr_boot]? pmbr_boot
    New state? [on]/off? on
    Information: You may need to update /etc/fstab.

    ReplyDelete